Thursday, January 19, 2012

Review: Dior 5 Colour Eyeshadow Palette Garden Edition in 441 Garden Pastels

This is the Spring collection that has been generating quite a buzz in the cyber beauty world long before it was even launched early Jan this year. Part of the buzz was contributed by the extent on how the rose mottifs in the eyeshadow palette were handcrafted and there are even pictures of the crafting processes posted online and of course, the striking colours in the collection as well as the perfumed nail polishes, not fogetting to mention the exquisite rose knob on the limited edition makeup clutches.

To be frank, i am seldom drawn to Dior's collection as i do feel that they are more suitable for beauties with cool colour skin tone and the fair ones. I am not surprised by the shade of the limited edition blusher that was launched in the spring collection- bright pastel pink, even though it was fused with the technology that upon application the blusher will appear just like how you are blushing naturally. I figure the technology would be similar to Dior Addict Lip Glow SPF 10 which i did a review of it previously.

Despite the technology used, the blusher did not work on me, i looked ashy so i figure there isn't anything for me in this collection looking at the swatches widely available online and testing on the various products in person.

The colours from the garden clutches looked a little similar to the ones released last year which i have both and looked like they can be duped, the nail polishes which i would love to love doesn't work on me (but they look gorgeous on my fair friend which is simply not fair : ( ), the limited edition blusher in the beautiful casing was calling out my name but the ashy colour on my cheeks made me unwilling to part with my dollars and the pretty Garden Roses Palette refuse to love me when i tried them on.....

Until when i swatched the Garden Pastels Eyeshadow palette....

I was deeply intrigued by the way-out-of-my- comfort zone colouring ( i am a neutral lover mainly), but the greens... the 2 greens are nothing that i have seen... i was sold on the spot.. almost.

I was about to walk away from it until by BBF (fellow skincare and cosmetic addict) dragged me back and told me that it will work on me, just that i have to be lighthanded with it and not to be ambitious to use all 5 colours in a look. What can i say, i feel that she knows me better than i know myself... after much contemplating, i hauled it, tucked safely in my bag cushioned in between stuffs.


 Dior's 5 Colour Eyeshadow Palette Garden Edition.

 441 Garden Pastels.

 The Classic Dior compact.

 441 Garden Pastels.

  A Closer look.

441 Garden Pastels without the plastic lid.

More of it.

 Swatches under normal light, photo taken near the window at noon.
Swatches: Top left to right, centre then bottom left to right.

Photo of swatches taken indoor.

In terms of packaging, this limited edition eyeshadow palette was packaged in the classic Dior compact, and the standard 5 colour eyeshadow palette placement which isn't any different from its normal eyeshadow palette thus lacking the WOW factor that i would have expected from a limited edition (same case as Chanel's), a subtle difference like motiffs or even colouring would have made one drawn more towards it (yeah, i am referring to me).

I do not detect any hint of fragrance from the eyeshadows..so far so good. What's the use of perfuming eyeshadows anyway right?

Next, the eyeshadows are nicely pigmented (which is supposed to be so at this price point) and one can easily layer on to build up intensity but they are such lovely light spring colours i wouldn't try to wear them heavily layered on. A touch of subtly would be a nice touch, i personally think. The swatches above are taken with just 1 brush of colour.

In terms of texture, it is a absolute delight in swatching and application, it glides on buttery smooth. The colours however are nicely shimmery and with a little frost to them, having said that i would wear them lighthanded (as my BBF suggested) and with other matte colours or just 2 or 3 colours each time.

As for the colour combination of the palette, they are totally different from anything that i have owned or seen and nothing can represent spring better than them. The light yellow grassy green at the top left corner wow me as it is so vibrant and alive in real life swatch, the white at the top right corner is versatile and nicely pigmented which would not be difficult to use, the light pastel pink in the middle has a very very subtle hint of lavender to me, it is not terribly unique but a nice colour to work on (especially on fair beauties, i just use it nevertheless). The buttery yellow at the bottom left turns out to be a little like very pale gold on me when i use it with a lighthand so i figure its good as a highlighter for eyes and lastly the cool blue toned green with a hint of silver shimmer at bottom right is a unique colour that turned out quite well for me as well.

All in all, i love it. With the exception of the horrid pricing.... Its only USD59.00. Why such high markup? 


Priced at S$94.99 for 4.8g or 0.15oz, available at all Dior Counters. It is a limited edition..... as so get it before its gone.



No comments:

Post a Comment